Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Julie/Julia Project & Vietnam Vittles


Barron and I just got back from New York. The brisk fall weather was amazing! Pictures are coming soon as well as details of our trip. We had such a great time shopping, dining and spending time with both old friends and family. While we were there Barron and I finished reading our last novels of the summer. In just the past 2 years I have found a new love for reading novels, especially in the summertime. When it is too hot to go outside I love to curl up with a book in the bed or on the sofa, where Barron in contrast loves to listen to novels on the way to and from work/home each day. Barron just finished a series of edgy, toe curling, spine tingling novels by David Baldacci. This summer I read a handful of novels, including Up Island by Anne Rivers Siddons, Away by Amy Bloom, The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and the Julie/Julia Project by Julie Powell. I was inspired to read The Time Traveler's Wife and Julie/Julia Project by the movies that came out this summer, but have yet been to the theater to watch either one.
Finishing up with the Julie/Julia Project was a fun way to end the summer. Julie Powell, cooks her way through 524 of Julia Child's recipes in 365 days. This true story is filled with lots of laughter, marital bliss as well as woes, friendship and the stepping stones of life. The book is light-hearted and inspiring. The language is definitely R-rated and a strong believer must certainly take her total lack of spiritual beliefs with a grain of salt (possibly she will find some in the next book), but other than that I really enjoyed this fun read. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that it has inspired me to cook myself through a whole cookbook, which will be a personal feat in itself. From my mother I gained a true love for cookbooks, but hardly ever use them in my daily routines. Most of my cooking tends to be done with mere instinct or experience and the use of recipes for occasional guidance.
While visiting NY, Barron and I ate at this fantastic Vietnamese restaurant in Union Square called Republic. It reminded me a lot of a Pan-Asian place I used to frequent the summer I spent in London called Wagamama. Both restaurants I truly recommend if you are ever in London or NY. Barron and I both love, love, love Asian cuisine. It's a passion that is equally shared by both of us. Our date nights mostly consist of dining at one of our favorite Thai and sushi restaurants (followed by a trip to the closest book store, we're a total nerd at heart couple), but there is certainly a lack of variety of places in the burbs, as well as an occasional lack of funds for dining out all the time. I mentioned wanting to master some Vietnamese recipes while in NY. I love to cook and most of all I love to make my husband's tummy happy since that is one of the easiest ways to his heart and most men I might add. Last night while I was at home unpacking our suitcases, (just so I can put everything away and re-pack for our beach trip this weekend) my sweet husband returns from a Barnes & Noble excursion with book in hand and smile on his face. He surprised me with a fantastic cookbook called The Best Vietnamese & Thai Cooking by Mai Pham. So by the will of my husbands tummy, my love for Asian cuisine, the inspiration of Julia Child who inspired Julie Powell who wrote her book and inspired me, I will be cooking my way through Vietnam. It is an exciting task to begin in the fall, because who doesn't love a hot bowl of pho bo or spicy tom yum goong on a cold winter day? :)


P.S. - To any readers or followers of the Julie/Julia Project: I was so excited today to find out that her original blog from the very beginning in 2002, is still there sitting on the web for all to read. Fun! Fun! http://blogs.salon.com/0001399/

1 comment:

  1. hey Julie! So glad you started a blog- it's a fun way to keep in touch w/people! Looks like you are enjoying being a newlywed- yay! Have fun doing all that cooking.....if you ever need some taste testers you can come to my house! Though i love to eat, a cooker i am not! ha ha! take care and i look forward to keeping up w/your blog updates. and congrats again on getting married!

    ReplyDelete