Friday, September 4, 2009

Big Night at the Ellebys

Barron watching football and Bruiser waiting for a bite

Yum! Yum! Tom Yum Goong and Chiang Mai!

New found goodies from the International Farmers Market,
including galanga, lemongrass, thai basil, fish sauce and pan fried egg noodles



Last night was a big night at our house. It was the start of the FALL FOOTBALL SEASON and I made my first attempt at mastering Vietnamese/Thai cooking. The outcome was a success! Barron managed to joyfully yell at the tv for several hours while I chopped, mashed, pulverized and simmered. I'm starting to think that this cooking project is a great addition to my other numerous creative outlets especially in time for football season. Barron prefers to watch games at home in a "quiet" environment where there are no other distractions which gives me time to catch up on just about anything.


COBB INTERNATIONAL FARMERS MARKET

For anyone who has never been to the Cobb International Farmers Market I recommend that you make a trip. Even if you go just once, you should certainly go. It is like being in another country and reminded me very much of the grocery stores I went to while living in Mexico a few summers back. If you can overlook the super dirty floors, lack of customer assistance and not so refreshing smells, you will find a plethera of unique foods most of which you probably have never seen in a grocery store before. Very interesting!


My first 2 recipe attempts were tom yum goong & chiang mai, a spicy shrimp soup and a curry beef noodle dish. Both were delish! I spent just under $50, made enough food to last Barron and I for almost a week and had lots of ingredients leftover. These recipes and most others in the book could not have been made without a trip to the International Farmers Market, which I just happen to work 5 minutes from, lucky me!


All in all, it was a success. My Thai Cuisine Expert husband said it was the best tom yum goong he has ever had. Husband's Happy Tummy = Happy Wife!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I am impressed - I have never cooked with that many ingredients :-) We missed you guys in Sunday School!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl - email me at work at wharmon@clc.com about girls night out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also very impressed!! We also have felt the football fever at our house. Scott went to the game in Oklahoma and is already making our football plans for next weekend. We watch a lot of games at home so as not to embaress the family with Scott's yelling at the T.V.. See ya'll soon

    ReplyDelete